On the Honey and the Beesting

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Am I entitled to a severance package?

I got a job today, and held it for a whole three hours.

There was a posting at the dorms bus stop:

"Wanted; Waitress for the Rega Ragua (lit: relaxing moment)
Restaurant. At the entrance to Usufiyya. Contact Chossam."

So I called, because I was curious. I totally didn't expect to be told
"Can you come over right now?"
Um...sure....
So I hopped in a taxi to go to Usufiyya, which is the Arab/Druzi village just down the mountain from Daliyat Al-Karmel, not having any clue where this place was (neither did the taxi driver), but since it was at the entrance to Usufiyya, and Usufiyya is smaller than some malls, we of course found it immediately.

I did not expect to be immediately shown a menu and explained how everything worked, and could I start tomorrow night because I was hired ? Um, no. I have class/prior obligations until 8. (Please, i just wanted information....hours, pay, that kind of thing)

In the end, I would only have made what I could earn off of tips, I would have essentially no weekends off, and he wanted me to work every spare minute.

He was very nice and accomodating (if tips weren't turning out to be enough, he would supplement it with minimum wage, I could bring books and study during down time, etc...), but I was mildly uncomfortable at the prospect of giving up the rest of my weekends for the year.

So I told him that I came from a traditional family, and that my father didn't really want me working, so I would call him, and he would have the last word.

Hah. Double hah.

Like that would ever happen in real i'm-not-trying-to-get-out-of-a-job life.

Regardless, I called Chossam back and told him no luck, the dadsters said no (which actually, he did, but more surprising is that I listened), and that I was really disappointed (which actually, I am, considering how easy it was to find illegal-under-the-table work on the first try), and that my other friends who had his number would soon be calling so they could work, but I simply couldn't.

I've totally just jinxed any chance I ever have of getting any other kind of job.
Crap.
Double crap.

-J

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's where to find all the dirt on Scooter Smiling All the Way to the Tank
Weblog of the Week: Office of the Special Counsel, www.usdoj.gov/usao/iln/osc/in dex.html . On the bench Weblog that Lasted About a Week: WithdrawMiers.org, www.with drawmiers.org . Legally speaking ...
Ellen
Your like to searching blogs, I invited you to visit my site: EMC
You site have something special. I like.
Ellen

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home