On the Honey and the Beesting

Friday, October 07, 2005

Shana Tova

After a relaxing weekend in Tel Aviv, if you can call anything related to Tel Aviv relaxing, and not going to metula for the day, after all, I packed up my bag and went to Aunt Shirley's for Rosh Hashana.

Oh. My. God.

I don't think I've ever eaten so much food in my entire life. I checked, and it seems that I've managed to gain 5 pounds in 3 days, which should tide me over until yom kippur. Spent a lovely 3 days with all the israeli cousins:

Monday: Went to safta's at 4 in the afternoon with Arielle. Did online crossword puzzles with Yael, Na'ava, Michal, Joshie, and Joshie's friend Miriam until Josh, David and Safta went to shul. The Orens (Nancy, Itai, Assaf and Amir) arrived in time for dinner (we were all very proud). There was enough food to feed a small african country for a week, and I have now learned how to play Yaniv, my new favorite card game. I regret to say that I still manage to lose terribly at it. Regardless, it is enjoyable. Michal, Assaf, Miriam, Itai and I went out to a bar until 2, and then Michal and I crawled upstairs to Safta's neighbor's apartment, where they had offered to put up the two of us for the night. They have great beds there.

Tuesday: Michal and I woke up in time to get to shul for the shofar blowing, but following along in the machzor was no fun, especially whenever I tried to peek over at my neighbor's machzor to see where we were, she did this whole show of covering it up. Because apparently, there's some exclusivity when it comes to god. There are words for this kind of person, but none of them are polite enough to publish before Yom Kippur. The kibbutznikim arrived for lunch and we had a wild afternoon with Seema, Samy, Einav, Ayelet, Gilad, and Samy's nephew Yigal. More food ensued, as did snacks and finally dinner, after which Michal and I went over to Nancy's to watch Constantine, which has it's merits, but very few. Actually, it's an okay movie, but the plot holes could kill a cow (speaking of which, I saw yet another wild cow in the parking lot today, just chilling and doing it's cow thing...). Michal and I returned to the neighbor for one more night.

Wednesday: Was pleasantly awoken at noon by Yael throwing open the door and saying (rather, shrieking) "Jessie and Michal! It's noon! Wakeup! It's time for lunch!"
That child needs to go to a reeducation camp... While wednesday was replete with food and other wonderful things, it was a relaxing nap/reading/walking day. In fact, on the walk with Naava, Joshie and Yael, Joshie and I found our dream house across the street from Safta: Tzion 8 is a dilapidated condemned little house that will soon become an apartment complex, but once upon a time it was beautiful. It's an old arab house, with inlaid tile flooring, an enormous yard/garden, and huge rooms, all of which can be determined by going into the yard and peering in the windows. Joshie wants to move in with his unit, which is looking for an apartment in the haifa area, but I want to move in and live forever. It's absolutely gorgeous. Once you rake out all the used hypodermic needles and hook up the water and electricity. Na'ava and I will at some point go on a house hunt in the old cities to find one just like it, because it's the perfect place to set up our commune.

Thursday: Since I had nothing to do after the holiday, I hopped on a train wednesday night to Tel Aviv. There I met my seat mate, Shai, who is an aspiring actor who can't take no for an answer when it comes to telephone numbers, so I gave him mine and then made him call it, so that way I have his number and can effectively screen his calls. As in not accept them. Poor Shai. But I will never again take the #@^$ing train after the holiday: it was a line up of 300 people to get into the station, which only opens 10 mintues before the first train gets in, and if you don't have a ticket already, be prepared to fight for a spot in line in front of the teller. And then to fight for a seat on the train that isn't on the floor: once again, this is not Russia; I will not pay for a ticket and then not sit in a seat. Luckily (or not, depending on your interpretation), I sat across from Shai and across the aisle from six noisy backpackers, one of which also sat with Shai and I...until he got up and thirty seconds later, this little old lady scooted in and snagged his seat...just as he was about to sit back down.
Hysterical. I love this country.
Thursday (which is today), I went with Yair to Shuk Hapishpushim (Jaffa Flea Market, where I spent nothing but to which i will return in the near future) and the beach for the day. Came back with minutes to spare before going out with Arielle, Sasha from New Orleans (actually, one of maybe 50 students who left N.O to go to school in Israel, courtesy of the Jewish Agency, because her school is currently under water...), and Marjan from Holland.

Sweet, sweet coffee. You give me the strength to clean up my rat-hole of a bedroom....bless your caffeinated little heart..

lilah tov, לילה טוב.
Jess

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home